Wednesday 7 December 2016

And more moths ...



I still have a few caterpillars from my second lot of Samia of unknown race (possibly Samia wangi).  The remaining caterpillars are pretty big and it shouldn’t be long before they are ready to pupate.  The colours on them are fantastic.
 

Most have spun up already and I have a nice batch of cocoons.  I was wondering if they would go into diapause and I could have a break until the weather warms up and the vegetation starts growing again.  With the recent cold weather we have had, the privet really isn't the best and that has to have an effect on the health of the caterpillars.


But no, this morning I had a newly emerged female moth.  She is very pretty -  I’m guessing it may not be long before I have a male to join her.  I already have eggs from the ricini x walkeri batch.  Looks like I will be having a busy time again soon.  The good news is I won’t have to wait too long to process that silk ....
  

No comments:

Post a Comment